Saturday, January 9, 2016

DHC LETTERBOOK - Letters written in June 1895

If a word is unreadable I put ---. The spelling and grammar mistakes are mostly his. 
Note: "ult" means previous month; "inst" means current month; "prox" means next month. -CBA
----------

1st June     5

President Angus M. Cannon
Salt Lake City, Utah

My Dear Brother Angus:-

Your welcome favor of the 28th ult reached me last night. I was pleased to receive it as I had seen by the Herald an a/c of the men striking the ore body in your mine. I do not think that you could have been more pleased than I was. You may judge of the anxiety with which I awaited news from you. I do from my heart say thank the Lord and trust that when I next see you that the care worn look that your countenance was when I last saw you may be gone.
We have been having terrible wind storms and some rain the last few days, the weather looks more settled this A.M.
My family are in their usual health. As also the people of our quiet town.
I am pleased to learn of the new grandson and trust that he may lived to be a great blessing and comfort to his parents. Give Mina our love and blessing.
I hope that George may have a successful trip East. I believe this is his first trip, am I right?
I would be glad to know that the Utah Company were successful in their endeavors, as I am satisfied that it is the welfare of the people that they are seeking and to open avenues for to give labor to the unemployed of our people. The Lord I feel will open the way for all who are laboring for to accomplish this object.
This is the day our High Council meets at 10 AM. I must close as it is now about that time, will say however that our companies are increasing. We had over 1 hundred more endowments and an equal number more in all other ordinances the last month than we had in May last year. May the Lord bless and prosper you. Kind love to all your loved ones. I am your humble brother, David H. Cannon

----------

3” June    5

Elder Samuel Judd
Le Verkin, Washington Co. Utah

Dear Bro Judd:

I wrote to Bro. George Coleman, who has charge of your stock, asking him if you had authorized him to turn me over a two year old steer in lieu of a calf that you had marked of mine in mistake two years ago. And that if you had done so to be kind enough to sell it for me and send me the money. (I had been told by Bro. Sinfield, who had charge of my cattle, that you had done so)
Bro. Coleman sends me word that he had not been authorized to turn me over a steer but he had sold your steers and would forward the means to you and that I had better make my application to you direct. If therefore you would kindly forward me the fourteen dollars ($14.00) in money you will greatly oblige me.

I remain
your Bro in the Gospel

David H. Cannon
----------

4th June     5

Elder George J Taylor
Salt Lake City, Utah

Dear Cousin:-

Your kind favor of the 31st ult is to hand and contents noted. In reply will say that I have seen Bro. Cha's Smith in relation as to that burial lot of which we had previously spoken. He says that if Brother Mathews paid for the burial lot that he (Mathews) has been burying in, then it is not the same lot that you have reference to, as he (Smith) never sold his lot but gave Mathews the privilege of using it.
Bro. Smith says for you to examine the records and see if the lot that you want is in his name. If it is get the transfers made over and forward to me and he will execute a title to you. In relation to the ----- you can send him what your judgement says is right as he has no use for the lot.
“The Manxman,” reached me last night, accept our thanks. Do not feel that you are under obligation to me for anything that I have or can do in relation to the matter of the burial lot as I am much interested in the same and anything that I can do to assist I will do with great pleasure. Your mother was my Father's sister and your Father one of the best friends I ever had.
My family are in their usual health. With kind regards
I am as ever
Yours in the covenant

David H. Cannon
----------

4th June     5

Elder John Martin
Rockport, Summit Co. Utah

Dear Bro:-

Your favor of recent date making inquiry about the Probest work was received all right. I placed the same in the hands of our recorder, to have the matter looked up and the information forwarded to you at onest.

I am very
respectfully

David H. Cannon
----------


4th June     5

Miss Eva Cannon
Pinto, Washington Co. Utah

My Dear Daughter – As I am here waiting for some parties I thought I would write you. The family are in their usual health. The weather is becoming settled and warm. Things in general are assuming a normal condition after the peculiar conditions that have prevailed. We are informed that the late heavy winds which prevailed previous to your leaving home, for a few days, have blighted the grains particularly is this the case in the Washington Field. In some instances I am informed amounting to half the crop.
I took your Ma, Vernon, Clara and Walter. We went to the field to examine our wheat found to our joy that it had not suffered from blight as described.
Woodruff and Lewis were busy with the hay. Angus is at work with his hay in the Washington Field and David I believe is putting in corn over there. The 1st cutting of hay is nearly over, the crop being unusually heavy.
I saw by the papers last week that your Uncle Angus had struck it rich in his mine in the Mercer Mining district. This I paid but little attention to at the time. I however, received a letter from him on Friday last, in which he says he is perfectly satisfied with his find and that he can meet and discharge every obligation that is upon him! You know that I take but little stock in this kind of thing. I know something about gold when it is coined but a gold prospect is a poor thing to spend money on at least. There is one thing of which I am sure and that is that there has been more money spent on mines and mining operations in this territory than has ever been taken out of the mines. Of course a few men have made it but see the thousands who have ruined themselves and others, it is an uncertain business at best.
Your mother will be glad when the  time for your return comes as the babe is fretful, cutting his teeth. She needs your help.
Give our kind love to the folks and accept the same yourself. May the Lord bless you my dear child. I am as ever your loving father.   David H. Cannon

---------
5th June     5

R.C. Lund Esq
Salt Lake City, Utah

Dear Bro:-

I deferred writing to Bro. Geo. Q. until now as I got word that he would be gone from home about this length of time.
I called his attention to the subject of which we were speaking with a request that should he see you - that he have a talk with you.
The weather is fine at the pres--- although I was informed that much? Damage has come to the farmers in that from one third to one half of the grain has been destroyed. I trust that it is not as bad as reported.
The health of the people is good and everything seems prosperous.
With kind regards I am as ever yours respectfully
David H. Cannon
----------


5th June     5

President George Q. Cannon
Salt Lake City, Utah

My Dear Brother George Q.:-

Before Bro. Robert C. Lund left St. George for Salt Lake he had been south. In conversation with Bro Lund I was struck with the description given by him of the Las Vegas Ranch and the improvements which have been made since the place was vacated by our people.
From what Bro Lund says I regard the place as a key to the country southwest of us.
I wish if you see Bro Lund you would have a talk with him in relation to the subject and see how you are impressed in relation to the matter.
The weather has turned out warm after our late storms of wind and rain. I am told that the farms blighted from one third to one half the grain in some of our fields. Notable so in the Washington field. The heads of the grain seem to be dried up so that you can rub them in your hands and blow the whole away. The grain was in bloom when it was struck by wind. I have not seen the effect of this myself but am informed that this is the case.
The health of my family is as good as usual. My own health is much improved.
I trust that your eastern trip has been both pleasant and prosperous and that your health as well as your loved ones is quite good.
Give my love to Prests Woodruff and Smith, to your family and accept the same yourself. I remain your humble brother.

David H. Cannon
----------

12th June     5

President John D.T. McAllister
Manti, Sanpete Co. Utah

My Dear Brother McAllister:-

I received your welcome favor of the 4th inst. On 7th. I was pleased to hear from you and learn of your welfare. That word from Prest. Lund in relation to the dead and the labors to be performed in the house of the Lord for them. What a blessed privilege! How great the mercy of the Lord!
Everything looks beautiful here at present. Abraham H. Cannon arrived with some railroad men last night. They are examining the country with a view of building a railway through. They have been looking over the Coal and Iron field of Iron County and are now going south from here. A.H. Says that the Brethren wanted me to accompany them from here and that a letter to that effect was to have been written to me last Saturday it has not arrived.
I have just received an invitation to attend a wedding reception at the residence of Sister Nixon. The occasion being in honor of the marriage of her daughter Josephine to Erastus G. Whitehead which took place yesterday in this Temple.
We are in the midst of our harvest. The grain is ripening faster than it can be cut, everyone is rejoicing at the prospect of an abundant harvest.
Sister Cornelia is well I believe. I met Grace who gave me this information the rest of your family are about as usual.
My own family are in their usual health although my son's wife has been quite sick but is better now although very weak.
A Dispatch has just reached me from Prest. Woodruff asking me to accompany the gentlemen mentioned so I must away.
Remember me kindly to your co-laborers, to your folks and our friends,
I am as ever your
Brother
David H. Cannon

----------

P.S. If you buy, you will
 only have to pay for the 16
acres. While the deed will call
for 20 acres, but only 16 shares
of water. Let me hear from
you soon, as your visit has cre-
ated a demand for land
D.H.C.

19th June     5

--- Abraham H.Cannon
---- ---- City, Utah

Dear Abraham: The piece of land that we went to examine that we called the Town site in the Washington field. I have since learned that ---- ---- Directors have decided not to sell. I ha-- ---ded to take the 20 acres joining that which ---- Lund had reserved for himself, if I can raise the where-with to make --- payment. I accompanied Isaac C. Macfarlane over to the field last ---y to select a piece for you, in case you conclude to make a purchase. The piece which I have looked at is north of the Town site. The soil is of a better quality, I think, than the latter, but has more of an slope which is to the West. The piece selected contains but 16 acres that the water can be got onto.
I write you that you may know how the matter is before you sent the means to make the purchase.
With love to yourself and family. I remain as ever yours

David H. Cannon
----------

22” June     5.

Samuel Judd Esq
Le Verkin, Utah
Dear Bro:-
Yours of the 9” inst. Is to hand and the contents noted. In reply will say that on the 15” July 1893 I arrived at Pinto. As I approached the town a cattleman, not living there, told me that you had branded one of my calves – that in separating the stock at Holt's to take to your corral to brand. The calf had been cut out as yours as the marks are nearly alike. Amos and Elias Hunt were down to our late conference. I showed them your letter, they deny having been told to vent a brand on the calf or any knowledge of the affair. As I told you in mine of the 3d inst. I wrote to Coleman to see if he had been authorized to turn me out a steer. He says he had not but that he knew you had branded one of my steers when a calf, but that he had not been authorized to fix the matter. Now, to have the brand vented on one of your --- cattle and it turned onto the range, would not suit me at all as I have no person there to receive stock for me. If, therefore, you will kindly send me the price of the steer, fourteen dollars, I will be greatly obliged.

I am very respectfully
Yours
David H. Cannon

----------

24th June     5
President John D.T. McAllister
Manti Temple
My Dear Brother McAllister.-

Your welcome favor of 19th inst. reached me on the 22d. It does me good to hear from you and learn of your welfare and that all is prosperous. How nice to be surrounded with friends, and the hope the gospel implants in our hearts growing brighter! We can be separated from friend and loved ones, go on eternally laboring to bring about His purposes and have joy in our labors.
Abraham and companions left St. George on Friday at 4 A.M. Preceding our conference. I was sorry. A.H. Said “he was not his own master but came to do the bidding of those who sent him.” I accompanied them through this country for two days but did not go south as they said they were prepared to report on this as the route. This -an Meyers is an agreeable gentleman, [3 words unreadable] he is here to represent the capitalists of St. Louis and is said to be possessed of 3 millions in his own rights.
Our harvest is well along and notwithstanding the good appearance of our grain crop, there will be a good deal of shrunk wheat.
Your people are pretty well as far as I know. I seen Cornelia on Saturday, all was right well then. My daughter in law is well again for which I am thankful. Our weather is warm and on nights has been beautiful until the last two which have --- very warm. Although everybody are so busy, hardly finding time to eat. Still the --- of the people is good. There have been cattle? --- --- --- have had st--- to --- --- hay --- a little money although price --- ---.
Mart is down at the Muddy at --- so I- informed. I do not hear anything about the ---py event to which we all look forward to ---- between him and Clara but this we can say we will be glad to see you down and rather than miss you, I would be willing to marr? if it were possible. Our conference went along nicely and notwithstanding we had none of the general authorities with us. We had a time long to be remembered and we were fed with the bread of life. Our companies are good for the time of the year and the Lord is with us by His spirit. May the Lord bless you, my dear brother with ---- to you all.
I am as ever you-- ---   David H. Cannon

----------

25th June     5
Bishop W.D. Robinson
American Fork, Utah

Dear Cousin:-

It is a long time since I heard from you. I believe you owe me a letter. We are having warm weather. Our grain is sh--- the yield will be good. The quality not so good. Every body is busy, time as usual dull with no prospect of a change in the near future.
The health of my family is good at present. In fact there is little or no sickness here. Everybody seems to be happy.
Abraham H. Cannon and a man by the name of Meyers were here looking over the country and its resources, with a visit to the construction of a railroad. There were favorably impressed with the country and I expect when they make their reports to the company they represent that it will be a favorable report. A railroad would give us advantages that we do not enjoy at present. While it would be the means of bringing us in contact with a class of people that would not be so desireable. If it is right it will come if not all right.
Our companies are larger than at the same time of the year last season and I believe the spirit of the work is increasing in the hearts of the people. It would be nice to see the House filled to its utmost capacity. I think it will be onest we have rilway? Communication. Until then they will be small.
I am thankful to see that Angus's prospects are improving. I trust to see him out of his difficulty. Give our kind regards to the family. And accept the same yourself. Believe me to be as ever

Yours,
David H. Cannon
----------

27th June     5

President Angus M. Cannon
Salt Lake City, Utah

My Dear Brother Angus:-
I see by the papers that you are still being encouraged in your ventures in the South West. I am pleased to note all these notices and trust that you may still be prospered. The property which you have Bonded will help you if they are successful and this am--- will be a blessing to you. It seems that a sale, if the same be an advantageous one, is better than work-- it yourself, investing the proceeds in some legitimate business. I am not offering this as a suggestion to you, but as my idea, you of course know what is best for you.
We are having warm weather last night being the warmest thus far this season.
We are tolerably well at present. Willie is complaining some but I think the heat has much to do with it. Also Rhoda's youngest boy, Vernon is poorly. With these exceptions the family are right well. Fruit is coming on and the people eat possibly more than they should which I think hurts them.
Our companies in this House are good for the season oof the year, with a prospect of increase today we have 30 dead and 3 living endowments with other work in proportion, which for this Temple is tolerable good.
I trust that Amanda is quite recovered from her recent sickness and that the rest of your family are in their usual health. Give them my kind regards, in which mine would join if they knew I was writing.
May the Lord bless and prosper you my dear Brother, accept my love in which Bro Bleak joins.

I am your loving brother
David H. Cannon

-----------

29th June     5

Sister Alice Isom
Virgin City, Utah

Dear Sister Isom:-

Your favor of the 27th inst is to hand. In answer to your question in reference to your children, George and Katie receiving their endowments I would say that I think it a good thing for our children when they are ready to receive the blessings of the Gospel! Of course I should impress upon them the responsibility that they would assume in going through the temple. My own daughters received their endowments after they passed their 16th birthday. That is Amanda (now dead) Mina, Nora; Eva has not had hers yet although past 17 years, but will soon.
Sister Cannon is poorly this summer the rest of my family are in their usual health. With kind regards to yourself and family.

I am your Brother in the gospel,

David H. Cannon