Sunday, January 17, 2016

DHC LETTERBOOK - Letters written July 5 to July 19th in 1895

I was only able to type a few letters this week but I am posting those...CBA

---

If a word is unreadable I put ---. The spelling and grammar mistakes are mostly his. 
Note: "ult" means previous month; "inst" means current month; "prox" means next month. -CBA


----------
1st July  5
Bishop Robert Knell.
Pinto, Washington Co. Utah

Dear Bro. Knell: -
We received a letter from our little daughter Rhoda the other day, and Eva received a nice letter from you a few days previous to that. Fearing that neither had been answered I thought that I would write you a few lines.
We are attending to Baptisms to- --. Thursday is the 4th we will – today so that all may have a chance to celebrate. Our companies have kept up remarkably well for this season of the year. We -Baptisms in the month of June 557, Endowments 353, Ordinations –2, Sealings 1340, children to Parents 1443 Second An’ting 2  making 1342 ordinances for this month, which is very much more than we have had in – months of June for many years.
The Boys are busy hauling what we – stacking it on Rhoda’s lot and --- --- there. There is considerable shru--- but there is a good yield and the – larger tan ever before.
The little boy Vernon is quite poor as also Raymond. Wilhelmina is frail? more this summer than she has some time. I am anxious about her, the rest of the family are in their usual health.
We had the pleasure of uniting in marr- Geo. E. Miles and Victoria Josephine Jarvis, yester- (Sunday) evening. I hope they will be happy. –
The Dr says that – Bro. Milne cannot live much longer. He looks bad, fam- never visit him.
I hope that Rhoda will be a good girl with you and be obedient. The children miss her. Walter feels that he ought to see his grand pa as well as the rest.
I thought that if I got time and the boys are not too busy with the team I would slip up some Saturday and return on Monday. I cannot do so next Saturday we have a c--- before the High Council appealed from Washin—
Remember us to the family as with –ll were mentioned in which the family would join if they knew I was writing. – have just finished baptizing 354 dead 2 first an- today! I am glad to hear of mothers improves – day.  – nd g—to see her walking without  a—
May the Lord bless you all. I am as—your brother in the gospel.   David H. Cannon

(words are missing along the margins)

----------

11th July   5
Apostle Abraham H. Cannon
Salt Lake City, Utah

My Dear Abraham: -
Your kind favor of the 5th inst was duly received. I have been very poorly or should have answered it at once. I am now better.
In relation to the St. George property referred to in yours, will say that --- person that he could have the vacant piece of land with the water for two hundred dollars and I gave him this month to raise the money, which if he does not do you can have the two places as we talked for - thousand dollars. The improved p--- you can have for eight hundred. - the dimensions are 16 rods square of land containing house, with a detached cellar. Also granary with cellar under it, a barn and o?? out houses. This piece of land contained 2 of our St George City lots and has two water shares that is one for each lot. If you conclude to take this place. I wish you would telegraph me at my expense.
There are many persons here who would be glad to purchase the property but cannot get the cash. It belongs to an estate and cannot be sold for anything but cash.
I will say in regard to the land that I have given the option on! That I think the party will get the money. Your letter has stirred him up. I would like him to have it.
-- relation to the lots near the Temple I will get the names of the parties who had – there and allowed them to be sold. I will --- --- --t I may not be able to do so before next Saturday.
--- --- the child that is ailing. The --- --- family are in their usual health. I hope that you may be prospered in RailRoad matters as well as all other undertakings and with kind love to yourself and family.
I am as ever Yours
David H. Cannon

----------


17th July   5
Apostle Abraham H. Cannon
Salt Lake City, Utah

My --- --- --ham:-
I told you that I would furnish you the information desired about the lots owned by the sundrie individuals in the close proximity to this Temple and who had allowed the same to be sold for taxes. The information desired I have now got and inclose which I trust will be satisfactory to you. There are two blocks of ground set apart for Temple – one the Temple stands on the other is to the East of the Temple Block and joining the lots and blocks are joining or on blocks joining this Temple property and will, if not today, be valuable.
This property can be redeemed at what it was sold for with costs and interest on the money. With kind regards to yourself and family I am as ever yours,
David H. Cannon

----------


19th July   5
Bishop Robt. Knell
Pinto, Washington Co. Utah
Dear Brother Knell:-
I received your welcome favor of the 15th inst last night. We were pleased to hear from you and learn that all were well. It must have been refreshing to you to know that Mother was able to attend the meetings of the 4 you cannot tell the satisfaction it gave us to hear of it.
The family are quite well, our little Vernon is cross and requires much care. This comes of him having been so sick.
The health of the people is tolerable good. Frank Pendleton has lost his mind and is in a precarious condition, it may be necessary to send him to the asylum. It is a great trial to his young wife.
You ask about the potatoes, Rhoda says hers are the best she has ever had but they would not be considered a good crop at Pinto. The rest of the family have potatoes and do not complain so that I suppose them to be fair.
The Boys are busy in their Hay. When it is all up I will have the Thrashing done, we have lots of straw and are in hopes of having some grain.
Everybody are thinking of Railroad here. We think the projectors of the Road are in earnest. They have paid Moore, the man who surveyed a road through here a few years ago four hundred and fifty dollars for his field notes. This expenditure of means is more than anything that has been done previous to this time and looks as though they were in earnest.
I bought 20 Acres of land in the Washington field and have given David and Angus each ten acres in my Price enclosure. I have not done anything towards my Hay pasture yet more than to get the posts and dig the holes. The reason it has not been finished is that it shuts the stock in the pasture from the water. I will have to arrange some plan to overcome this difficulty.
I received a nice letter from Bro. McA at Manti last night. They are getting along nicely. That place has not become to him, as St. George yet, and perhaps never will. It is nice where we can do so to feel at home where duty calls us.
I get frequent word from the City. The Brethren are in Alaska and will not be in the City until the last of the month. The President’s health is much improved. This is the object sought in their trip. The President was better just as soon as he reached the coast. His ailment was something like asthma.
I wrote to you in my last that I intended to visit you. The opportunity to do so has not been afforded me as yet. Next Sunday I am to be at the Clara and the Sunday following at Virgin city. Bro. Samuel Miles is my companion at the latter place. I will take one of the folks with me if the little boy keeps well. I think of taking him and his ma.
Our 4th was observed in good style. A programme in the day was good and well rendered. We had a funeral on the morning, a grandchild of Bro. Bleak’s buried at 8 A.M. The 24th will be observed when a good time is anticipated. There will be a theatre and dance both in the evening. The former in the old H- the latter in the New Ha- (smeared words) people will dance no matter how warm the weather. I do not blame them that. I know of as I remember when I would rather go to a dance than do anything else that could be thought of.
I see by the papers that the political pot is beginning to boil. I trust that some people will not go crazy. Or do that for which they will need to repent after the Election is over. We go to such extremes that reason forsakes many of us. Our gentile friends say that we beat anything they ever experienced before coming amongst us.
I am pleased to hear that Clara has taken an out. Aside from the information that she will receive, the trip will be good for her as she will be brought in contact with other people. This thing of our girls always being at the same place I am opposed to as I think they should see other people.
Times are as usual in St. George still dull no money stirring, still our crops are good and people prepared to take care of themselves and wear homemade clothes.
The companies are good in the Temple for the time of the year. Everybody is busy who care to work, yet spare a portion of time to come here and labor for their dead.
My family would all join me in love to you all if they knew that I was writing. Give our regards to all not forgetting my little daughter, Rhoda. I am as ever –s
David H. Cannon

----------