Saturday, January 2, 2016

This blog is back in business...

Outside of book

I am re-opening this blog now in 2016 as I am transcribing another of David H. Cannon's Letterbooks. 
This book includes copies of  his letters from 8 May 1895 to 3 February 1897.


Inside the front cover

 The Letterbooks were a way to copy letters - early copiers. Because David H. Cannon wrote with pens that needed to be blotted, the book was used to blot the letters. The book was made of very thin paper and you can read the letter through the paper.

This shows how thin the paper is.


If the letter was placed in the book properly it made a very nice copy. Some of the pages are crooked or very light. A few of the letters didn't copy well along the borders so if I can't see the words I just put "---." . I put a blank piece of white paper behind the letter so I can see it better.
Here is the first page. It is a nice copy. His handwriting is very good for that time period.


First page of book
 I will try to add letters each week... Please let me know of any mis-typing or other errors.
I'm enjoying what I've read and typed so far.. It's a good look at St. George, Utah, a small Mormon/LDS Utah town at the end of the 19th century. -CBA